2012 News⟪ BACK
Dec 20, 2012
West Campus Development Update - December 2012
Season's Greetings to you all,
We are very excited about the preliminary concept ideas being developed in collaboration with the stakeholder Working group. That group is comprised of representatives from the neighbouring communities as well as The City of Calgary, the University of Calgary and Alberta Health Services.
At a recent meeting the participants converged on a number of key criteria that will guide the plan. Those key elements are:
- A preference for sensitive transition and lower massing in areas adjacent to existing residential development;
- Higher form development to be concentrated away from the communities and closer to the centre of the planning area on or adjacent to the central spine;
- Some higher concentration of massing could be developed at the east end of the site adjacent to the university and south of the Research Park;
- A variety of open spaces/park spaces is desired, with a mix of sizes to incorporate passive and programmed spaces;
- Pedestrian and bicycle routes throughout the site as well as to and from the Bow River, across Shaganappi Trail, and to Foothills Hospital and Market Mall;
- Establish key gateways to West Campus such as at 32 Avenue and Collegiate Road and off Shaganappi trail;
These principles and the input of the Working Group on site layout will guide the preparation of draft concepts that be shared with the public. In January, community associations will review the drafts, and in late February public meetings will be scheduled. You will have the opportunity to review the concepts and provide input at the public meetings. We will also post the concepts on our website at the time of the public meetings.